Become a part of the solution to the pandemic and suffering caused by AIDS. Donate HERE today!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Thoughts on Nothing in Particular

Do you have those days where something just isn't "right," where things irk you for no reason and there are about 3 people in the universe that you actually will allow to speak with you?  Maybe you don't.  Maybe it's just me and my introverted nature that finds these days in her lap now and again....or maybe it's because Trainer Man is out of town and my muscles really want to get trained.  For whatever reason, and for better or worse, it is one of those days.

And on this day, I thought I would tell you something: I am SO looking forward to being back on my bike this weekend!  I actually missed riding last weekend.  Don't get me wrong; I had a fabulous, fantastic trip to Sonoma and celebrated Tyler accordingly, but every time I saw a cyclist rolling along, I wondered what the training rides were up to.  It was weird.  So, this weekend I will be riding approximately 73 miles with Pos Peds on Saturday and 50 miles with Shifting Gears on Sunday.  Yay! (that was a serious cheer)

On another note, I am playing in my FIRST basketball game since surgery.   Actually, I haven't played basketball since about November 2009 when the doctor told me that was the end of my "career."  That day sucked.  That's all there is to it.  I love basketball and found great people in LA to play with (RIP Erin...).  Taking it away was one of those moments.  I'm sure you have moments like that in your life that you remember as well.  I am SO NERVOUS!  I know that I will be a step slow and get frustrated, but I just don't want to (i) puke, (ii) get hurt again or (iii) embarrass myself.  Lofty goals, I know.  But how great is it that about 9.5 months after back surgery I can ride a bike, work out with a personal trainer and play in a basketball game in the course of one week!  I consider this a MIRACLE!!

So on this day where I want to bury my head in the sand, draft (that's lawyer speak for "write") nasty emails to just about everyone and their mother who crosses my inbox and go to bed and get out on Saturday, I'm going to choose to think about the amazing recovery that my Team has set me on.  How that one doctor that one day told me that my career in adult basketball leagues was over, but he was wrong. And how I received the most beautiful picture of me and my nephew in the mail today.  I'm going to choose (or be forced to choose by those of you that are reading this blog and decide to keep me accountable) to focus on all in my life that has been given to me by The One Above and is, for the most part, undeserved by yours truly.  I'm going to choose to focus on the road ahead and not the hill behind.  It's what I do in biking; why wouldn't it work in life?

No comments:

Post a Comment