I think the title of this new blog says it all: I'm back. Back on my bike. Back with a new back (haha). Back at the demand of all of my fans (Evalie). Back to let all of you out there into this crazy brain of mine.
Many of you have been asking about Spandex Fashion Show and when it is going to come back....well, I don't know if it ever will. That blog chronicled my and Caitlin's funny and hard adventures of learning how to wear spandex, give up our lives to train and learn a new language. That first training season was crazy intense and unlikely to be duplicated. We've debated about it, but I think we're going to let it be what it was. As such, I have decided to branch out on my own and Get Back on the Blog.
This time around I'll probably still write about training alot (considering it is the only thing I will have time for until June), but I may entertain/bore with other areas of life as well. Now, let's get down to business.
First things first -- my back.
Surgery went well; my mom was the best nurse ever. She cleaned my room/apartment (I live in a studio; the terms are interchangeable) everyday, watched Deadliest Catch marathons and made me take lots of walks. It was AWESOME to have her here in LA and all to myself for an entire week! I don't think that has ever happened before in my life. Seriously. I'm a middle child.
Today my back is okay. Not great, not what I had hoped, but much better than a year ago. I can walk, I don't have a rogue foot (every time my back acted up, my right foot decided to go in its own direction), I can sit at my desk and do work rather than lying on the floor and i can ride my bike again. All VERY good things. But, there are still spasms and things that set me off, but I guess that is life and I'll work through it. I'm attempting yoga, which hopefully will help with my very tight muscles and limited flexibility. And I may never be able to live in a cold climate again (shucks). But, at the end of the day, surgery was a good decision and I'd do it again in heartbeat. I don't see the Pain Gang anymore, which is sad, but I think I've had enough of doctors and PT for a while.
Second -- AIDS Lifecycle 10
I am back in the game, signed up and you can view my fundraising page here. It has been difficult to find the motivation for the training after 9 months of no physical activity, but I'll get there. Caitlin recruited a friend from work, Laura, to do the Ride as well. I am sure that you will hear many a story about her this season as well.
Third -- Stories from Spandex
Okay, I suppose it's time for your first spandex story of the year: The Worst Ride Ever. By Autumn Visser (c) 2011.
It was Soul Fried Sunday/Who Cares About Football, Let's Ride Bikes training ride, leaving from Cynergy Cycles last Sunday. I woke up and felt a little naseous. No biggie; I was probably just nervous about riding again. Rode to Cynergy; still naseous. Started the ride, still naseous. Get 5 miles in and realize that the pain and nasea is going someplace bad, very very quickly. So I decide to turnback, but the problem is I am a good 30 min. from my house at a quick riding pace. Problem. Several calls and text messages later and I discover that no one is in the area on this fine day. Big problem.
After 4 stops, one strategically placed in front of a storm drain, and a little bit of self-dignity down that same storm drain, I made it home, crawled in bed and didn't emerge for 3 days. Thank you stomach flu and 103 degree fever for the worst ride in the history of riding.
Finally -- My First Fall Ever
We were at the intersection of Sunset Blvd and PCH. There was a giant bus. And for those of you who don't ride around LA, giant buses are always a pain in the ass and you can never tell just what they're going to do. So I look one way, turn around to say something to Laura and the next thing you know I'm on the ground, face up, with the bike on top of me and a guy in a car staring down at me. I fell. I had one foot clipped in and forgot that you can't lean towards that foot while it's clipped in, so I fell. There you go. I am now one of the many, many cyclists who fall over themselves. Road rash and bruises to my body and ego, again. Apparently biking is out to get me this year.
You might want to stay along for this ride.
Did you seriously pull the "middle child" line in blog numero uno? You and Jack will have a lot to discuss some day...poor Jack-E!
ReplyDeleteYes! I did!! Us middle kids can pull this at any moment. Jack-E and I are going to have a lot to discuss. Jantina is also shipping Matty off to me. haha
ReplyDelete